Aria by Richard Rodriguez
This article is from the author Richard's point of view, explaining the positives and negatives of being a bilingual speaker in the American school system.
Quotes to share;
"... it would have pleased me to hear my teachers address me in Spanish when I entered the classroom".
I picked this quote because I believe it is something that is often overlooked. I used to work with children and I had a Spanish student named Mariana. Her name was pronounced "mardi-ana", although the whole staff besides myself pronounced it "mary-ana". They made it sound very white. Most of the time, she would not respond to it, because thats not how you say her name. Regardless of her language background, if her name is pronounced a certain way, a way that is it not pronounced in english, why are we changing it? There is a difference in a name and a vocabulary word. These types of actions in school can make children feel uncomfortable, and not confident considering the teacher is not only changing their whole language, but changing their name as well.
"Is it possible for you and your husband to encourage your children to practice English when they are home"?
To some extent, I completely understand why the teachers had this conversation with Richard's parents. A child will have a very hard time learning english if they are only exposed to it at school. Parents should be teaching their kids, or speaking to their kids in english to help them learn. Although, this is not an option for all students. I believe that instead of banning the child's primary language, the teacher can use different strategies in the classroom to help the student understand. There could also be a Spanish speaking TA. The teacher could also try learning some key words in Spanish that may help her communicate with the students.
Points to share;
Being understanding of a chads cultural background is very important. We can not teach the student if we do not know the student. As stated in the article, we should be encouraging the parents to speak english with the children at home, but teachers should not be against learning basic words in other languages their students are speaking to help their students learn and engage during class. Children can be easily shut down, so we should think of ways to be lifting them up and not making it seem like their culture or language is "wrong".

I really liked your connection to your real life situation. I completely agree with you that if someone's name is pronounced a certain way in their language then we should not pronounce the name with an English version of it. I also agree with you about teachers trying to learn some of their student's language because that might make the student feel more comfortable or more at home while in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteI also really liked your personal connection, as it surely helps by having previous experience with children. You also made a good point when you said we cannot teach a student if we do not know the student. Building good relationships is highly important as a teacher.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your explanations of the quotes and I liked your personal connection. It is important that teachers make students feel comfortable and know their students. I liked how you suggested instead of banning the language to find alternative strategies.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your point that teachers should learn a couple of words in the students language, because it shows that the teacher wants the kids to understand what's going on in class, and that they care.
ReplyDelete