How may a man perceive a woman as "easy to get"?

- Being single
- Being alone at a bar
- Wearing revealing clothing
- Being drunk
- Having a promiscuous history
Women should be respected, regardless. Relating this article back to Underlying Myths That Blind Us, humans have the tendency to judge, make assumptions, and label others wether we know the person or not. We make these judgments to feel better about ourselves in some sort of way. Some men tend to make these assumptions to make themselves feel "like a man", like they can have any girl they want if she's easy enough. It also brings me back to reading all of the statements that woman cannot do in comparison to the white man, such as not being able to walk on the street at night, not being able to walk alone, etc. I do not think this fair. A woman's outfit does not define her. A woman's history does not define her. Women need to be respected.
Abrams article was about how woman are getting more involved in politics and what obstacles they may face when running for office. Her argument is that woman do face more challenges when running against the stereotypical white man considering there is this stigma that woman will not do as good of a job. One quote that really stuck out to me was "I feel this year we are seeing far more woman who woke up one morning, turned on the TV and said, if he can be president I can run for the state legislature, congress, or governor." I normally never express my opinion about politics outside of my close friends and sometimes family, but I agree entirely. Considering Donald Trump can become president, how could that not inspire woman to use their voice and try to run for some sort of congress? This had reminded me of the quote "Much oppressiveness is unconscious," as said in McIntosh's article. Men have been running the political world since the very beginning. I feel now more than ever woman have been using their voice for the better, and considering all of the issues our nation is facing in regard to politics, woman are choosing to not be silent any longer.
No comments:
Post a Comment