Sunday, November 18, 2018

Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome - Quotes

Citizenship in School: Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome by Christopher Kliewer explains some of the issues facing the disabled community. These include issues in the school system, in the community, in judgment, and in relationships. This article is outdated in 1998, so many of the issues mentioned may have (hopefully) improved over the last decade.




Quote #1
"I started to notice that I didn't like the classes I was taking called special education. I had to go through special ed. almost all my life. I wanted to take other classes that interested me. I had never felt so mad, I wanted to cry."
This heartbreaking quote is from a student who was in the Special Education department at her school. Clearly, you can see that she feels as though her disabilities are limiting her to her academic ability, as well as what she can participate in during the school day. Disability does not mean incapable. I understand that many of these students do need more attention than others in order to get their needs met, but no student should ever feel this way because of struggles they face on a daily basis.  Although this article is a bit outdated, when I was in high school, many of the students in the Special Education department were in the same electives as all of the other students. Even though some of the students needed teacher assistance, they were still able to participate in the activities and classes they wanted to be in.

Quote #2
"How absurd to be judged by others at all, especially by those who have never experienced a disability or who are unwillingly providing us with support or who don't listen to the voices we have".
This is a very powerful quote that mentions the judgments that people with disabilities face. On a more general/cliché note, who are you to judge? You never know what someone may be going through in their life. What bothers me the most, and I am sure we have all seen it at one point in our lives, is someone being judged over something they have no control over. Who are you to judge someone based on their struggles or looks. This negative attitude really is absurd and disrespectful. Empathy does not mean endorsement. It is not that hard to be kind, or to try and understand someone else's situation before making assumptions about them. It is not our place to do otherwise.

Quote #3
"[Community] requires a willingness to see people as they are- different perhaps in their minds and in their bodies, but not different in their spirits or in their willingness and ability to contribute to the mosaic of society. It requires the "helper" to have the humility to listen for what the person says he or she needs. Also, the "helper" must see that the interaction "helps" both ways".
If you are to take away one quote from this article, I believe this should be the one. Throw all ignorance and judgment aside. We are all human. This is such a basic concept that for some reason people still do no understand. We are all human. Ones disability does not define them- sure it may cause certain struggles that they have to deal with- but who are you to be nothing but understanding for their situation.


Personal Story;
This might be kind of random, but when I was younger, I went to Story Land in New Hampshire. I was probably around the age of 8 or 9. While I was waiting in line for the bathroom, I noticed two girls slightly older than me laughing at a girl with dwarfism. They were making comments along the lines of "Look how short she is! I bet she won't go on any rides!", and that is the only thing I remember from that day. It made me feel awful, even though I was not the one who made the comment. I won't even justify their actions for their age, because at 11 or 12 I knew not to be that rude or disrespectful to others. I went up to the girl they were laughing at, and complimented her shirt. She seems surprised that I had even talked to her. Long story short, I really do believe a little bit of kindness goes a long way.





8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the quotes you chose from the article. I think they capture the exact message the article wanted everyone to take away, and I agree with all of your analysis of them. I also enjoyed your personal experience story and I also believe a little bit of kindness can go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found quote #2 to be very powerful. It is so true that empathy is, I think, what is missed most in education and what makes a good teacher or a bad teacher. Where autism is concerned, surely we can take the time to understand how these students learn and afford them the same opportunities as their peirs. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing that personal experience with us. I think we've all witnessed some kind of bullying with our own eyes but we always find a way to justify it or justify why we shouldn't do anything about it. But I agree with everything that you said. There should be a reform for special education so that all students feel safe, welcome, and capable of success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alex, I liked the three quotes you chose and your elaboration on them. It seems like you're the nonjudgmental type of person we need more of nowadays. Also, I enjoyed your personal experience, that was very kind of you and I'm sure it made that girl happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex, I really enjoyed reading you blog and I feel that the quotes you choose really capture the essence of what the article was about and what is occurring modern-day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also thought the quotes you picked explained the overall message great. Your personal experience story was interesting because it is so sad that people aren't positive and supportive of one another but I loved how you turned it around and gave her a compliment. Being kind definitely can go a Long way.

    ReplyDelete

  7. I also thought the quotes you picked explained the overall idea well. And with your personal experience story I am very glad that you were able to do that and most likely made her day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the quotes you chose, and I think you explained them well, also your personal story was sad and I'm sorry they were making fun of the girl.

    ReplyDelete