Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Unlearning the Myths That Blind Us

My blog this week is an extension of my classmate Emily. Check out her blog post here; 
https://emilyvieira1527.blogspot.com/2018/10/blog-4-unlearning-myths-that-blind-us.html?showComment=1539134617022#c8796865585467683792

The reason why I had decided to do my extended comment blog on Emily's post was because I really like the quotes she had picked and I agree with the points she has raised.
"We are not only taught certain styles of violence, the latest fashions, and sex roles on TV, movies, magazines, and comic strips: we are also taught how to succeed, how to love, how to buy, how to conquer, how to forget the past and suppress the future. We are taught, more than anything else, how to not rebel," was one of the quotes Emily had picked. She had pointed out that this quotes represents how the media controls people in their everyday life, and I agree. Humans rely solely on group formation. To explain, many people do not like stepping outside of the norm. Many people choose to dress the same, listen to the same music, wear the same makeup, etc. Not many people like being an outsider. Although, when there are outsiders, people tend to judge, make assumptions, or label others. The media really tries to shape society into this lifestyle that most of the time, is not realistic.

Another quote that Emily had picked that really opened my eyes was
“As TinkerBell inspects her tiny body in a mirror only to find that her minute hips are simply too huge, she shows us how to turn the mirror into the enemy.."

Here is a link to the video Emily provided;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0y76gV2LL4

After watching this, I am honestly SHOOK. Peter Pan was my all time favorite movie. I would watch it day and night until my parents had enough for the day. I totally forgot about this scene. In the video, it shows Tinker Bell passing by a mirror and grabbing her hips with disappointment. She has a face of shock once she looks at how "big" they are.

Let me break this down as a little girl who may look up to Tinker Bell after watching this movie;

"If Tinker Bell has big hips, and she doesn't like them, then that means I shouldn't like mine. I bet everyone doesn't like mine either."

This alone sets up a bad habit for girls as they look in the mirror. Even today, girls and woman are constantly comparing themselves to others on social media. Some getting frustrated that they do not look like the models that, most of the time, don't even look like that without photoshop or mass amounts of makeup. Woman need to appreciate having curves instead of hating them. There is no right or wrong body type. This will only stop if we begin to teach children that they should love themselves, and their bodies, for who they are.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the first quote you mentioned, as well as the explanation you provided. It's fascinating how the media has influenced the way we think without us really even knowing it. I also think people don't like stepping out of the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say how interesting your blog post was. When i read the section about the princess and the frog in the text, I thought to myself, yeah, a black princess is awesome, but finding her man is the most important thing to her. So the gender roles enforcement cancels out the race representation. But you definitely hit that point later on. Very organized thought!

    ReplyDelete